Easy Hot Cross Buns using this easy dough from my Bagel Recipe. No yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer. Bake them in the oven or in the air-fryer!
Hot Cross Buns
Serve them Easter morning with some hard boiled eggs and fruit! More sweet brunch additions I love are No-bake Strawberries and Cream Crepe Cake, Honey lemon Bars, and Chocolate Drizzled Coconut Macaroons.
Confession, I have never had a hot cross bun, although I did play it on my recorder in grade school! But I looked at several recipes and noticed the dough was pretty similar to my bagel dough, with the addition of raisins, cinnamon and a glaze on top. I tested them out keeping the sugar on the lighter side, since the glaze on top adds more sweetness and we loved them. I guess you can call them bagel cross buns, if you wish!
How To Make Easy Hot Cross Buns
Tips for perfect hot cross buns:
- Use a silpat or parchment paper sprayed with oil to prevent them from sticking to the baking sheet.
- Bake them on the top rack so they don’t brown too much on the bottom.
- Greek yogurt instead of plain is a must, if there’s any liquid in the yogurt be sure to drain it. I tested with Fage and Stonyfield Greek, both worked great. Chobani has been giving people sticky dough, so I would stay away from that brand for this recipe.
- If your dough is sticky add more flour or use less yogurt.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make more. You can also half or quarter it to make less.
- To make them with self rising flour omit the salt and baking powder.
Tips for dairy-free hot cross buns:
I tested this dairy-free a few different ways with success.
- You can use a thick dairy-free Greek yogurt, Kite Hill (blue label) was the brand I found and tested. This yogurt is not 0 Freestyle Points.
- Use water instead of milk for the glaze.
Hot Cross Buns
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
- 1 cup 5 oz unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat or gluten-free mix*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, use less if using table salt
- 1 cup 0% Greek yogurt, not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky
- 3 tablespoon raisins
- 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
Icing (only half will get used)*:
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk or water
Preheat oven to 375F.
Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt and whisk well.
Add the yogurt and raisins, mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 10 to 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
Divide into 8 equal balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
Top with egg wash. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes before icing.
Air Fryer Method:
Preheat the air fryer 325F degrees and set for 11 to 12 minutes.
Transfer in batches without overcrowding and bake 11 to 12 minutes, or until golden. No need to turn.
Let cool at least 30 minutes before icing.
*Since only half gets used on top, I deducted half of the sugar from the analysis.
Serving: 2buns, Calories: 230kcal, Carbohydrates: 46g, Protein: 10.5g, Fat: 0.5g, Sodium: 426mg, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 16.5g
Blue Smart Points: 7
Green Smart Points: 8
Purple Smart Points: 7
Points +: 5
Keywords: Air fryer dessert recipes, Easy Hot Cross Buns, Healthy Hot Cross Buns, Hot Cross Buns, Hot Cross Buns Recipe