As cats and dogs age, they are more likely to experience joint pain or discomfort. Joint pain, stiffness, and discomfort in older- and middle-aged pets are often caused by arthritis.
Osteoarthritis is the most common joint ailment that affects adult dogs and cats, although adult pets can also experience joint pain from rheumatoid arthritis and septic arthritis.
Arthritis is one of the most common sources of chronic pain treated by veterinarians; in the U.S., 90% of cats over the age of 12, show signs of degenerative joint disease. One in five adult dogs in the U.S. has a diagnosis of arthritis.
There are ways to support your pet’s comfort and agility through the aging process. Here are some signs to look for that might indicate that your pet needs more joint support.
11 Signs Your Pet Needs More Join Support
If you start to notice any of the following behaviors in your dog or cat, it may be a sign that they are experiencing joint pain symptoms caused by a form of arthritis, or another health condition. If you observe any of these signs or symptoms, be sure to talk with your vet and have them perform a full physical examination on your pet, being sure to include an assessment of your pet’s joint health and range of motion. Here are some signs your pet may need more joint support:
- Limping or stiffness, especially after getting up from sleeping
- Decrease in play or energy
- Reduced mobility; more reluctance than usual to run, jump, or play
- Abnormal posture
- Abnormal grooming (dogs or cats with arthritis may lick, chew, or bite the painful areas, which can result in hair loss or inflamed skin in those areas)
- Weight gain
- Changes in behavior (such as irritability)
- Wincing or pain when you get or touch them
- Starting to have accidents in the house
- Muscle mass loss around the limbs or spine
Be sure to raise these concerns with your vet if you notice any of these signs. Your pet may also benefit from supplements to support their joint health, such as the following from Thorne Vet, Pet WellBeing, and Charlotte’s Web.
Anthroplex Animal Health – Thorne Vet
Arthroplex Animal Health from Thorne Vet is a joint support supplement specially formulated for dogs and cats to help relieve occasional soreness and stiffness and support healthy cartilage. Arthroplex supports your pet’s joints with ingredients including:
- Glucosamine sulfate, the same go-to ingredient for healthy joints in people.
- Boswellia, which has been shown to significantly lessen the degradation of glycosaminoglycans that form important components of connective tissues.
- DL-Phenylalanine, which increases endorphin levels by supporting increased levels of norepinephrine and dopamine, helping your pet to have a better response to pain.
Agile Joints for Dogs and Cats – Pet Wellbeing
Agile Joints for Dogs & Cats from Pet Wellbeing is for aging pets struggling with poor joint health. Agile Joints for Dogs & Cats is an herbal supplement designed to support healthy joints in cats and dogs for optimal mobility and comfort so that they can keep enjoying life. With a proprietary herbal blend containing ingredients such as turmeric rhizome, devils claw tuber, sarsaparilla root, dandelion root, horsetail herb, and more, Agile Joints for Dogs & Cats may help support.
- Overall mobility and joint health
- Joints, cartilage, ligaments, and joint fluid
- Ability to maintain flexibility and mobility
- And more
Hemp Extract for Adult Dogs 17 Mg – Charlotte’s Web
Hemp Extract for Adult Dogs 17 Mg from Charlotte’s Web is formulated to ease hip and joint stiffness in adult dogs caused by routine activity. Naturally packed with a broad spectrum of hemp’s naturally occurring and beneficial phytocannabinoids, each milliliter of Hemp Extract for Adult Dogs contains approximately 17 mg of naturally occurring CBD. In addition to supporting healthy hips and joints, this formula helps keep your pet calm and relaxed from normal levels of pet anxiety.
What helps ease joint pain or stiffness in your adult dog or cat?