This crispy Fall Brussels Sprout Salad with raw shredded Brussels, apples, pecans, and blue cheese is a great side salad with roasted chicken, pork, or turkey.
Fall Brussels Sprout Salad
I love using raw, shaved Brussels sprouts in salads! You can buy them shredded, but I like to chop them myself so they’re fresher. For this easy Fall Brussels sprout salad recipe, I tossed them with sweet, crisp red apples, pecans, blue cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette. If you’re looking for more Brussels sprouts salads, try this Raw Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Oil and Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with Bacon and Avocado.
Can Brussels sprouts be eaten raw in a salad?
Truth is, I prefer my brussels sprouts raw in salads vs cooked. If you thinly cut your brussels sprouts, they can be eaten raw in a salad just like cabbage. Just cut the root end off the sprout and then slice them vertically. You can also try prepping them in a food processor with the shredding disc attached.
How far in advance can I shred Brussels sprouts?
This fall salad is great for meal prep. You can shred your Brussels sprouts and the vinaigrette a day or two before you serve the salad. Combine everything right before serving or even a couple of hours early. The dressing will soften the sprouts, and the vinegar in the dressing will prevent the apples from turning brown. Leftovers will hold for a couple of days in the fridge.
Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad Ingredients
- Brussels Sprouts: You’ll need four cups of shaved or shredded Brussels sprouts.
- Nuts: If you don’t have pecans, swap them with walnuts or almonds. If you’re allergic to nuts, omit them.
- Apples: I used a Honey crisp apple, but feel free to use your favorite red apple. You could also try making this salad with pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries.
- Cheese: Gorgonzola or blue cheese will work.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: Whisk the olive oil, Dijon mustard, shallots, balsamic, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
More Shredded Brussels Sprout Recipes You’ll Love:
Fall Brussels Sprout Salad with Apple, Pecans, and Blue Cheese
This Fall Brussels Sprout Salad with apples, pecans, and blue cheese is a great side salad with roasted chicken, pork or Thanksgiving turkey.
- 4 cups thinly shredded brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, or gorgonzola
- 1 small honey crisp apple, or any sweet apple, cored and diced into matchsticks, skin on
Whisk olive oil, Dijon, shallots and vinegar with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Pour over Brussels in a large bowl and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to taste.
Mix in apples and top with pecans and blue cheese.
If you prefer to cook your Brussels sprouts, saute in a skillet with a little oil for about 5 minutes.
Serving: 1cup, Calories: 202kcal, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 13.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 4.5mg, Sodium: 154mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 8g
Keywords: brussels sprout salad, easy side dish, fall, fall salads, raw brussels sprouts, shredded brussels sprouts