This easy blueberry galette is the perfect dessert to bake when fresh summer blueberries are in season or any time of the year. Using refrigerated pie dough makes it even faster!
Making a blueberry galette is simpler than a blueberry pie or tart as it’s basically a free-form pie without a pie dish. I love how fuss-free this rustic dessert is. The blueberries are tossed with lemon and lemon zest and lightly sweetened with monk fruit or sugar. It’s every bit as delicious as a homemade pie but much easier. If you want to make this fruit galette over-the-top good, serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! For a savory galette, you will love this summer tomato galette.
What is a blueberry galette?
A blueberry galette is a sweet free-form pastry with a blueberry filling baked on a sheet pan. You can make this with any berries you like. Try it with a mix of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries for a variation. There are also savory galettes with vegetables.
Is galette dough the same as pie dough?
A galette uses the same type of dough that is used for a pie, it’s just bakes different. A galette is baked on a baking sheet, and the edges of the dough are folded up over the filling. A pie is made in a circular pie plate, with the dough going up the sides of the dish. A pie sometimes has a second pie crust on top of the filling.
Blueberry Galette Ingredients
- Pie Dough: I made this blueberry galette recipe with Pillsbury pie dough, but any brand will work. And if you want to make your own homemade pie crust recipe, go for it.
- Sweetener: I used monk fruit sweetener, which has zero calories and fewer carbs than sugar, but you can also substitute granulated sugar or turbinado sugar.
- Lemon: You’ll need two teaspoons of lemon zest and two tablespoons lemon juice.
- Flour: Mix the blueberries with all-purpose flour or cornstarch, this will keep the galette from getting soggy and will make thicken the sauce.
- Blueberry mixture: If fresh blueberries are in season, definitely use them! If not, frozen blueberries will work too.
- Egg Wash: Beat one egg white or whole egg to brush on the crust.
How to Make a Blueberry Galette
- Prep: Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat the oven to 375°F. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it sit while you prepare the blueberries.
- Galette Filling: Mix the monk fruit or sugar, lemon zest, and flour in a large bowl. Fold in the blueberries and lemon juice and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Galette Dough: Roll out the pie dough to a 13-inch round with a rolling pin about 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Fold the pastry in half and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
- Form the Galette: Spoon the blueberries into the center of the dough, leaving a 1 ½-border. Fold the border up and over the blueberries. Brush the egg white on the pastry and sprinkle with a few pinches of sweetener.
- Bake the galette for 40 to 50 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the blueberry filling starts to bubble. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let it cool until warm. Cut into eight wedges with a pastry cutter and serve warm or at room temperature.
How to Store a Galette
Cover leftovers with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days, you can eat cold or reheat to warm it up.
More Blueberry Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 wedge
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and package to take the chill out.
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Make the filling:
In a bowl, whisk the ¼ cup of monk fruit or sugar, lemon zest and flour. Fold in the blueberries and lemon juice and mix well to coat; let it stand for 15 minutes.
Prepare the dough:
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a 13-inch round about 1/8 inch thick.
Fold the pastry in half and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
Spoon the blueberries in the center of the pastry, leaving a 11/2-inch border all around.
Fold the pastry border up and over the blueberries, pleating it as needed. Brush the egg white on the pastry and sprinkle with a few pinches of sweetener.
Bake in the center of the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the blueberry filling starts to bubble.
Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and let it cool to warm. Cut into 8 wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 wedge, Calories: 155 kcal, Carbohydrates: 31 g, Protein: 2.5 g, Fat: 6.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 137.5 mg, Fiber: 2 g, Sugar: 7.5 g