My go-to, homemade taco seasoning recipe made with just 6 ingredients you already have in your pantry. When it comes to making tacos at home, nothing beats making your own spice mixture.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
Next time you’re planning to make tacos, skip the store-bought packets and whip up your own homemade taco seasoning. It’s the best taco seasoning recipe, I’ve been using this for years! I scaled this up from my popular turkey taco recipe, I’ve tried many variations, but I always come back to this combo. It’s great with ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken. Plus, it’s easy, economical, and you can adjust the flavor to your liking. The best part, it’s free of preservatives and additives that store-bought mixes may have.
This homemade taco seasoning recipe is perfect for taco lovers and picky palates. The kids will love it because it’s mild and flavorful. I always keep a batch in my pantry ready to use. Here’s what you need:
Ingredients for DIY Taco Seasoning
This recipe makes 1 cup of seasoning, perfect for approximately 9 servings for about 1 lb of meat. Feel free to modify this to your taste.
- 3 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons of cumin
- 3 tablespoons of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of dried oregano
Mix all of these ingredients together, and store in a glass spice container.
For the best flavor, homemade seasoning is best stored for up to 6 months, but can be stored for up to 1 to 2 years if it’s kept in a cool, dry place and in a tightly sealed container.
What is the main ingredients in taco seasoning?
- Chili Powder: The backbone of this seasoning, it provides a spicy kick and a deep, rich color to the mixture
- Cumin: This spice gives the seasoning its characteristic earthy, slightly spicy flavor, reminiscent of many Mexican and Latin American dishes
- Garlic Powder: It adds a savory, robust flavor to the seasoning
- Paprika: Gives a mild sweetness and vibrant color to the mix
- Oregano: Enhance the flavors of the other ingredients
- Kosher Salt: enhances the flavors of all the other ingredients, making them more pronounced
Additional spices you can add:
- Onion powder
- Ancho chili powder in place of chili powder
- Smoked paprika in place of sweet
- crushed red pepper flakes, chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper, to make it spicy
How to make taco meat with this seasoning:
Brown 1 pound of ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken or ground tofu in a large skillet with 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of this taco seasoning, 1/4 cup minced onions, 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper. If desired, add tomato paste and a little water and simmer, covered for 5 minutes.
More Taco Recipes
Yield: 32 servings
Serving Size: 1 1/4 teaspoons
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Homemade taco seasoning can be stored for up to 1 to 2 years if it’s kept in a cool, dry place and in a tightly sealed container. However, the flavor of the seasoning can diminish over time, and it’s usually at its peak for the first 6 months.
Serving: 1 1/4 teaspoons, Calories: 8 kcal, Carbohydrates: 1.5 g, Sodium: 300 mg, Fiber: 0.5 g